Anyone who wants to diminish the appearance of creases, lines and sagging should learn about:
- What causes fine and deep lines
- Ways to prevent further signs of aging
- Possible wrinkle treatment options.
Individuals are different in how they are predisposed for wrinkles. Different ethnic groups, for example, display different physiological patterns as their skin ages. This is largely due to genetics.
But generally speaking, the production of collagen decreases and skin loses its tone and elasticity, often resulting in saggy skin. Oil production also diminishes, causing skin to become drier. Under these physiological conditions, wrinkles are likely to form.
Facial expressions naturally manifest from our emotional reactions. Depending on various factors inherent within your skin, smile lines can occur under the eyes, around the eyes and around the mouth.
There are also environmental factors that exacerbate the aging process. These include:
Ultra violet rays from the sun damage the elastin and collagen in the skin. Melanin is a skin pigment that helps protect the skin from these effects. Individuals with fair skin have lower levels of melanin and are affected to a greater extent by UV rays from the sun and tanning beds.
Wrinkles from smoking result in a number of ways:
- It promotes the formation of free radicals. These are molecules that promote oxidative stress and damage to various parts of the body including tissues and DNA.
- Smoking impedes the absorption of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that counteracts the effects of free radicals.
- Smoking restricts the flow of blood through capillaries. This reduces the availability of oxygen and nutrients to different parts of the body.
- Smoking proliferates the production of an enzyme which breaks down collagen
- It depletes the body’s vitamin A reserve. Vitamin A is another factor that provides protection to the skin.
- The act of smoking causes the muscles around the eyes and mouth to be more active than the non-smoker. This includes puckering of the mouth. Interestingly, wrinkles can be caused in a similar fashion from straws, since this involves puckering as well. Wrinkles from squinting occur with smokers because their eyes usually contract in reaction to the smoke.
Fruits and vegetables are high in anti-oxidants, which help fight free radicals. Diets low in fruits and vegetables reduces the body’s ability to fight tissue damage. In our society, caffeine is quite prevalent. And overconsumption leads to the production of free radicals which promotes the aging process.
Understanding the environmental causes of wrinkles is empowering because you can then reduce your exposure to factors that enhance the aging process. Based on the information above, this includes:
- Using sunscreen and limiting the time you spend in the sun
- Finding tools and programs to help you stop smoking, if this is already a habit in your life
- Changing your diet to include foods that contain high levels of anti-oxidants
Although knowledge gives you the means to prevent wrinkles, diminishing existing lines requires the help of a medical specialist. Again, there are many physiological factors involved. And these can be addressed through the use of lasers which have shown to be both effective and safe as a treatment for crows feet, frown lines, smile lines, laugh lines and other related signs of aging. Fillers such as botox and radiesse can also be used to treat fine and deep lines.
Dr. Umar has performed numerous procedures for patients who sought his help in resurfacing and rejuvenating their skin. The videos and pictures on his site show amazing before and after results. For more information, please visit his site www.finetouchdermatology.com.