Finding a good dermatologist can be a tricky business. Especially in Los Angeles, where demand for beautiful skin is high, and dermatologists are plentiful. Who can you trust?
People seek the expertise of dermatologists for all types of skin, hair, and nail conditions; from acne, to laser tattoo removal, to anti-aging treatments like Botox, to alopecia, to fungal infections. With many dermatologic ailments being so exposed, patients are often desperate to cure the problem and want an experienced, knowledgeable doctor. Finding such a physician is the key to any successful treatment, no matter how big or small.
What Do Dermatologists Do?
Dermatologists in Los Angeles, or elsewhere, typically assess and diagnose problems of the skin and hair. Once the cause of the problem is determined, they can prescribe medications or administer a multitude of in-office treatments. A few common dermatologic conditions and corresponding treatments of the skin include:
- -Acne vulgaris: Acne is a common problem amongst teenagers, but can persist into adulthood. The root cause can be due to genetics, hormones, hyperkeratization, or stress. Dermatologists treat acne vulgaris with topical medications like benzamyacin or Retin A, oral medications like tetracycline or Accutane, or laser therapy like the Spectra laser or the Fraxel laser.
- -Acne Scars: Acne scars result from acne vulgaris and can manifest in different shapes and sizes. There are ice pick scars, box car scars, rolling scars, and hypertrophic scars. Dermatologists can treat these scars with dermabrasion, punch graft surgery, or laser therapy. The Fraxel Dual laser is ideal for this purpose.
- -Wrinkles: Wrinkles appear as we get older, as the skin loses elasticity and the muscles beneath make permanent creases in the skin from years of contracting. Wrinkles can also occur from sun damage. Botox injections for wrinkle reduction are the number one most common non-surgical cosmetic procedure. Dermatologists are now also using a similar treatment called Dysport for wrinkle reduction.
- -Age spots: Age spots are clusters of melanocyte cells in the skin, caused by too much sun exposure. They’re also called liver spots, sun spots, brown spots, and solar lentigines. Dermatologists treat these spots with skin bleaching hydroquinone creams or with laser therapy, such as the Fraxel laser or Spectra laser.
- -Unwanted birthmarks: Birthmarks come in all shapes and sizes, but are broken down into 2 specific classifications: pigmented and vascular. Dermatologists can remove unwanted birthmarks with laser technology. Ideal lasers for this purpose include Q-Switch and V-Beam Perfecta.
- -Unwanted tattoos: Sometimes we get tattoos that we don’t want later on in life. These markings were once permanent, but with today’s laser technology, dermatologists can fade them completely out. The lasers required for this type of work would also be the Spectra.
These are just a few of the treatments a dermatologist might offer for skin ailments. Other services include laser hair removal, skin rejuvenation, liposuction, treatment for Rosacea, and even more.