Wrinkles are an inevitable fate for all people. Our skin can’t stay smooth and firm forever. However, there is a way to slow down the process of aging skin or to make the signs of aging less extreme. Wrinkle treatment with laser resurfacing can rejuvenate and revitalize the collagen structures within the skin, to make the fine lines on the surface far less obvious.
What Causes Wrinkles?
Our facial muscles are constantly at work throughout our lives. We frown, we smile, and everything in between, and what achieves each countenance is an underlying nerve signal to contract that specific muscle. Over time, the skin begins to lose elasticity and tissue volume; thus, the folds and creases that accompany the contour of our expressions become permanently etched into the skin as wrinkles.
In addition, we are all frequently exposed to the sun throughout life. Ultraviolet rays from the sun expedite the aging process of skin through photodamage. These rays wreak havoc on aging skin by doing the following:
- -They break down collagen fibers
- -They instigate the development of abnormal forms of elastin
- -They produce solar scars, which are disordered arrangements of collagen fibers
- -They cause damage to oxygen cells, thus destroying other cells in the body, particularly those which help to produce new, healthy skin
- -They cripple the enzymes that are programmed to repair damaged cells
Types of Wrinkle Treatment Via Laser Resurfacing
First and foremost, it is an important preventative wrinkle treatment to wear sunscreen everyday, and a hat whenever possible. However, as previously stated, no one can avoid developing wrinkles. At FineTouch Dermatology, Dr. Umar uses three different laser resurfacing systems, depending on the patient and his or her need. They are:
- -Fraxel Dual – The 1550nm wavelength of this laser penetrates to deep layers in the skin, promoting the growth of new collagen fibers. This laser resurfacing system is safe for use on people of darker skin tones.
- -Fraxel SR 1500 – The 1500nm wavelength of this laser works similarly to that of Fraxel Dual, however it is a less aggressive form of wrinkle treatment; ideal for people with mild needs.
- -Spectra VRMIII – The 1064nm wavelength of this laser, cleanses pores, promotes collagen restructuring, and sloughs off the outer layers of the skin, with similar results to a chemical peel. The advantage is that the laser resurfacing system is safer and more predictable.