In recent years larger lips have become a popular beauty standard. And because of this, more women (as well as men) are looking into cosmetic procedures, like lip augmentation, to enhance the volume of their lips. The injection type, method and aesthetic eye of the practitioner are all factors that contribute to the quality of the end results.
Lip Augmentation With Juvederm
Many patients and physicians have expressed preference for Juvederm for its ability to give natural looking results.
Juvederm is made of hyaluronic acid, which is a compound that is naturally found in our bodies, and typically lasts between 6-8 months. It easily diffuses into existing tissue and not only augments the area, but hydrates it as well. The molecule itself is able to hold a lot of water.
Juvederm is available in different consistencies.
- Juvederm Ultra (regular Juvederm)
- Juvederm Ultra Plus, where Juvederm molecules have a higher degree of cross linking. This makes the injection solution more viscous
This Los Angeles patient received Juvederm for lip augmentation. Below are the results of her procedure.
Another patient (video below) from Los Angeles also underwent lip augmentation with Juvederm to achieve more fullness in her lips.
Restylane For Lip Augmentation
Restylane is another injection made of hyaluronic acid that can also be used for lip augmentation. It is thicker and more viscous compared to Juvederm. Instead of diffusing into the tissue of the injection site, Restylane tends to stay in place and requires the physician to mold it into the desired end result.
Lip Augmentation and Principles For Achieving Balanced Results
The ideal outcome for any lip augmentation procedure is for the lips to look plump in a way that is balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
There are certain principals that physicians must keep in mind to prevent the lips from looking overdone.
- The upper lip should be 2/3’s the size of the lower lip
- Injections should be applied in a balanced manner across five divisions of the lip ( three on top and two on the bottom)
- The upper lip should not be enhanced to the point where it is too high. If the lips were glossed and a light shone on them, the reflection should be on the top bowed contour of the lip, not the center. A reflection in the center is indicative of a top lip whose height is too tall from the profile view, giving a duck-like appearance.
Permanent Versus Temporary Lip Augmentation Injections
Many Los Angeles patients wonder whether or not they should choose permanent lip augmentation options over temporary injections.
At first, it may seem that lip augmentation with permanent results make the most sense. However it is important to keep in mind that the face will inevitably change over the course of time, especially as muscles and tissue start to lose volume. The attractiveness of permanent lip injections may not last when the patient gets older and can look somewhat unnatural.
Temporary injections, on the other hand can adapt to changes so that the appearance of the lips are balanced with the rest of the face.
Lip Augmentation Procedures in Los Angeles
If you are in Los Angeles and are interested in lip augmentation, choose an experienced board certified dermatologist.